Kabsa (Saudi Main Course)
Whole chicken (with skin) 1
Lemon 1 (large)
Salt to taste
Black pepper 1 tsp
Ginger and garlic paste 1 tsp
Onions 2 large
Cinnamon stick 2 inch
Green chilies 4-5
Carrots (shredded) 1 large
Raisins 1/2 cup
Rice 750 grams
Ghee 1 cup
Saffron a pinch
Kewra water 1 tsp
1. Rub salt, black pepper and, ginger and garlic paste on both sides of the chicken and leave in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
2. In a preheated oven bake the marinated chicken for 40 minutes on each side at 2000C.
3. Meanwhile add ghee, cinnamon stick and onions in a pot, fry till golden brown. Add raisins,carrots, cook for a minute and add in salt at the end. Kabsa masala is ready!
4. Boil rice in 2 tsp of salt, drain the water when rice is 3/4 done and now layer the rice and Kabsa masala. Mix saffron and kewra water at the end, cover it and leave on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
5. Dish out rice and serve it with the baked chicken on top.
6. Kabsa is ready to eat. It is traditionally served with tomato chutney (Take 2 unpeeled tomatoes, 2 green chilies, 2 garlic cloves, 3 tbsp green coriander, 1/2 tsp salt and blend)
Tres Leches Cake
All-purpose flour 1 cup
Baking powder 1.5 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Sugar 1 cup
Milk 1/3 cup
Evaporated milk 12 oz
Sweetened condensed milk 14 oz
Regular Milk 1/4 cup
Whipping cream 1 cup
Cinnamon powder for dusting
1. In a bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
2. Separate egg whites and yolks. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg yolks on high speed. Slowly add 3/4 cup sugar and whisk until it is pale in color. Add 1/3 cup of milk.
3. Now add dry ingredients. Gently mix until well combined. DO NOT over mix, as it can make the cake hard.
4. Now using electric mixer, whisk egg whites on high speed until the mix becomes foamy and add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar to the mix. Continue whisking until it makes stiff peaks.
5. Gently fold egg whites mixture in egg yolk batter.
6. Pour the batter in 9x13 inches pan and bake for 35-40 minutes in a preheated oven at 1800C. Then remove from oven and set aside for 15 minutes.
7. Poke holes in the cake with a toothpick and pour the milk mixture (evaporated milk,condensed milk and regular milk) all over the cake. Leave it in the refrigerator for 4 hours. The cake needs to soak up the milk.
8. Serve delicious tres leches cake with whipped cream and/or garnish it with cinnamon powder.
The writer is a chef who runs her own restaurant.
Read 65 times